Who is Suitable to Be a Surrogate Mother?
Making the decision to be a surrogate mother is a profound choice. The impact that can be made on other’s lives is significant. The joy that a child brings to a family or individual is something that no amount of money can buy. Being able to carry a baby for those who cannot is one of the greatest gifts that you can ever give. At Edwards Surrogate, we provide the means for surrogate mothers to meet with individuals or couples in order to help them have a child.
Why is there a Need for Surrogate Mothers?
There are many reasons why someone is not able to conceive a child of their own. For same sex couples, a surrogate mother may be the only option they have to be able to have a child. It is more common with male couples, and they often use an egg donor of their choosing along with their semen for fertilization. In other situations, a woman may not be able to conceive on her own due to medical issues that put her at too great a risk for pregnancy. There may also be problems with a woman’s uterus, making pregnancy impossible.
Types of Surrogacy
There are two main types of surrogacy used today. The first way is through traditional or straight surrogacy. With the traditional method, the surrogate mother would use her own eggs and use the father’s semen to fertilize them. It can be done through an insemination kit or by a clinic, which is usually preferred.
The second, more common method of surrogacy today is gestational surrogacy. This method utilizes advances in modern medicine through the in vitro fertilization technique, or IVF. The reason why this has grown more popular is that it allows for the eggs and semen donors to be chosen. The mother can have her eggs safely extracted and fertilized with the father’s semen. Once fertilized, they are inserted into the surrogate mother’s uterus. The surrogate mother in this situation will not be related biologically to the child that she carries for the couple or individual.
Requirements to be a Surrogate Mother at Edwards Surrogate
In order to ensure the safety of our surrogate mothers, and to increase the success rate of the pregnancy, Edwards Surrogate has several requirements that a surrogate mother candidate must meet in order to be accepted into the program.
The requirements to be a surrogate mother at Edwards Surrogate are as follows:
- The individual must be in good health and meet the weight and height guidelines (BMI<32)
- Must be between the ages of 21 and 38
- The individual must have given birth to at least one other healthy child
- The prior pregnancy must have been a full-term delivery with no complications
- The individual must be a non-smoker and not use any drugs
- Reliable transport is required in order to make medical appointments, and the person must be financially stable
- To be eligible, the individual must be a U.S. citizen or considered a permanent resident
- Dedication and reliability to the process is required, as well as adherence to our strict screening process and counseling protocols
- If in a current relationship, the individual’s partner must also fully agree to all of the requirements
- Must be able to pass our criminal background checks
If you feel that you would make for an ideal surrogate mother, contact Edwards Surrogate today for more information.